The CSCF has recently installed a new TeX system for the following
architectures: IRIX 5.x/6.x, OSF/1 v1.3, Ultrix 4.x, SunOS 4.1.x, and
Solarix 2.x. We have been beta testing it for a few weeks, but there
are still bound to be components of the system that people use that will
need to be added. If you are interested in using the new features provided
by LaTeX2e or just want to try something new, you can setup your environment
to run the new TeX with the enclosed instructions. If you decide to try
out the new system, please come to our
BBL Wednesday 12-13-95 in the large
conference room, which will introduce some of the features of the LaTeX2e.
1. Remove all of your old LaTeX initialization code from your
startup files. THIS IS IMPORTANT! You might also want to
temporarily comment out any xdvi customizations in your
2. Add "source
/exp/rcf/common/teTeX/SETUP-TETEX.csh " to your
.cshrc or .tcshrc if you're running a csh variant, or add
to your startup filesif you're running an sh variant.
3. You can set up environment variables to include your own fonts
and styles, but you have to do one of the following three things:
The leading, trailing, or double colon in a path tells the TeX
system to search its own directories in addtion to the ones you
specified. The system needs to be able to see its own directories
and won't work without them.
- - put a colon in front of each env var path list
- - put a colon at the end of each env var path list
- - put a double colon in the middle of the path somewhere
4. Log out and back in. If there are any old TeX-system environment
variables set, they will cause you problems when you try to run
the new one. You also need the PATH set.